Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam develops McClendon Chair
The Dutch Baptist Seminary, the Faculty of Theology of Vrije universiteit, and six other partners signed a partnership agreement to establish the James Wm. McClendon Chair for Baptistic and Evangelical Theologies at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. The McClendon chair expands the chair of Baptist Studies held by Prof. dr. Henk Bakker.
09/04/2017 | 4:28 PM
The signing took place at the Baptist House in Amsterdam, September 1, 2017:
We partner together in establishing and supporting the McClendon Chair for Baptistic and Evangelical Theologies at the Theological Faculty of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Through this we are dedicated to stimulate a way of doing theology that is convictional, embodied, narrative and directly related to the practice of the church. We trust that McClendon’s legacy with its international, ecumenical and Christocentric approach, will contribute to the academic discourse as well as to the challenges that churches face in the twenty-first century.
It was signed by respectively:
- Joeke van der Mei, Chair of the Baptist Union in the Netherlands
- Prof Dr R. Ruard Ganzevoort, Dean Faculty of Theology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- Dr Stuart Blythe, Rector International Baptist Study Centre Amsterdam
- Rev Jonathan Zondag, Secretary of the Evangelical Society in the Protestant Church of the Netherlands
- Dirk van Schepen, MA, Management Team Christian University for Applied Theology Ede
- Rev Tony Peck, General Secretary, European Baptist Federation, and Regional Secretary, Baptist World Alliance
- Prof Dr Nancey Murphy, McClendon’s wife and fellow scholar till his death in 2002, was ‘present’ through skype and confirmed her wholehearted support and approval for the Chair.