As an external PhD candidate, you are responsible for the following costs:
• Membership fee of the Graduate School (yearly)
• VUnet-ID (not obligatory)
• The costs of following the training programme courses and activities (faculty online courses excepted)
• Travel and accommodation costs (if applicable)
The fee has to be paid beginning from the month following your acceptance to the Graduate School. You will receive instructions on how to pay the fee as soon as you have been accepted as a member of the Graduate School. Following VU regulations, the fee is determined on an annual basis and is to be received two months after acceptance at the latest.
• The fee for the academic year 2016-2017 is € 500,-
• The fee for the VUnet-ID is € 524,-
An academic year runs from 1st September to 31st August. If you are admitted during the academic year, you pay a percentage of the fee, depending on your starting date:
• starting between 1 July and 31 December: full fee
• starting in January, February or March: 50%
• starting in April, May or June: 25%
Please note that purchasing a VUnet-ID is not compulsory. It is, however, necessary for receiving a number of privileges at VU-University, such as access to the e-library. If you have access to the VU campus, you may consider buying a regular library card that is significantly cheaper and can be obtained via VU library. Yet, a regular library card does not provide access to the e-library. VUnet-IDs can be bought only for a full year. Should this lead to significant problems for your project, please contact your supervisors and the Graduate School. If you wish to obtain a VUnet-ID, please use this link and fill it in properly. After you have paid the fee, you will be notified how to initiate or extend your VUnet-ID.
Payments have to be received before a VUnet-ID can be obtained (via email@example.com). Payments are for the full year, independently from when you apply for a VUnet-ID.
Fees for the Graduate School, the VUnet-ID and all other costs are non-refundable. If you should decide to discontinue your PhD trajectory, or the Graduate School decides to terminate your membership, you will not be refunded for any fees paid thus far.
Depending on the date of your PhD ceremony, a refund of your membership fee is possible under the following conditions:
• graduation between 1 July and 31 December: 50%
• graduation in January, February or March: 25%
• graduation in April, May or June: no refund
Different regulations and fees apply for internal candidates (AIO's) and for candidates who enter the PhD trajectory at the Faculty of Theology via one of the faculty’s recognized partner institutions or via some other agreement.