The Centre, founded in September 2007, seeks to foster research in the field of New Testament Studies within the Department of Biblical Studies at the Faculty of Theology of VU University Amsterdam. It seeks to do so primarily in six ways:
- Through the post-graduate degree programmes of the Faculty of Theology: the one-year Master of Theology, the two-year Research Master, and doctoral studies.
- Through the monthly meetings of the Amsterdam New Testament Colloquium (a.k.a. het Amsterdamse Nieuwtestamentisch Werkgezelschap which has been meeting since April, 2005).
- Through international scholarly publications.
- Through the participation of its members in international societies for New Testament scholars, especially Studiorum Novi Testamenti Societas (SNTS), the Society of Biblical Literature (SBL), and the European Association of Biblical Studies (EABS).
- Through the organization of national and international symposia and conferences.
- Through the provision of hospitality to visiting New Testament scholars.
The Steering Committee of the Centre consists of Professor M.C. de Boer (Director), Professor L.J. Lietaert Peerbolte, Dr. J.L.H. Krans, Dr. A.W. Zwiep, and (from 1 April 2009) Dr. B.P.A. Smit.
Professor M.C. de Boer
Postal address: Faculteit der Godgeleerdheid
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
De Boelelaan 1105
1081 HV Amsterdam
Tel. 31-20-598 6632.