- +31 20 59 86606
- faculteit religie en theologie ( beliefs & practices )
researchtheology and spirituality of reformed protestantism
- ‘Personal Renewal between Heidelberg and Westminster’, Journal of Reformed Theology 5 (2011), 49-67.
- 'Unio mystica cum Christo glorificato. In dialogue with Van de Beek about the consequences of his Eschatology for Soteriology', in: E.A.J.G. van der Borght en P.J.J. van Geest (editors), Strangers and Pilgrims. On the meaning of the theological oeuvre of Abraham van de Beek, Leiden: Brill 2012, 413-428.
- ‘Sanctification between Westminster and Northampton’, with A.J. Beck, in: Jonathan Edwards Studies vol. 2, no. 2 (2012), 3-27.
- ‘Neurocalvinism: Calvinism as a Paradigm for Neuroscience’, in P. Jonkers & M. Sarot (eds.), Embodied Religion. Proceedings of the 2012 Conference of the European Society for Philosophy of Religion (Utrecht: Ars Disputandi 2013), 279-292.
- ‘The development in Jonathan Edwards’ covenant view’, with K. van der Knijff, in Jonathan Edwards Studies, vol. 3, no. 2 (2013), 269-281.]
- ‘Between tradition and renewal. Some considerations about the use of tradition in reformed theology’, In die Skriflig/In Luce Verbi; Vol 47, No 1 (2013), 8 pages.
- ‘A Retrieval of Edwards’ Concept of Free Will’, in J. Burnell, Theologica Wratislaviensia, 2012/7 (published spring 2014), 93-111.
- ‘Bevindelijke prediking’, in Theologia Reformata, 57.2 (2014), 153-163.
- ‘De toekomst in het heden. Een onderzoek naar het eigene van Jonathan Edwards’ eschatologie in het licht van de huidige bezinning op de eschatologie’, Theologia Reformata 57.3, september 2014, 224-241.
- Be Renewed. A Theology of Personal Renewal, Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht 2014 [335 pag]
- ‘Heidelberg’s relevance for a postmodern age: The doctrine of Scripture in the Heidelberg Catechism revisited’, International Journal of Systematic Theology, doi:10.1111/ijst.12080, 2015.1 (17), 26-45.
- ‘The Estimation of the World. A Comparison between Calvin and Van Ruler’, Calvin Theological Journal 49.2 (2014), 186-200.
- ‘H.A. Bakker, M.J. Kater en W. van Vlastuin (eds), Verantwoord Geloof. Handboek christelijke apologetiek, Kampen: Brevier 2014 [528 pag]
- 'Calvin and Swaab: a comparison with respect to free will’, with A. Meuleman in In Die Skriflig 48(1), Art. #1763, http://dx.doi.org/10.4102/ids.v48i1.1763.
- ‘The joy of Law: A revisitation of the usus normativus in the Heidelberg Catechism’, Journal of Reformed Theology 2015,
- 'Why Jonathan Edwards did not understand Thomas Boston about the Covenant', Jonathan Edwards Studies 2015
- J. van de Kamp, A. Goudriaan en W. van Vlastuin (eds), Pietas reformata. Religieuze vernieuwing onder gereformeerden in de vroegmoderne tijd (Zoetermeer: Boekencentrum 2015) [320 pag.]
PhD supervisionOn this page you will find potential research areas and themes for future PhD students.
I was born was born on the 6th of March 1963, in Maarn, The Netherlands. After finishing the pre-university secondary education (VWO) at the Van Lodenstein-College in Amersfoort in 1981, I studied Technical Physics at Delft Technical University and I was involved in a solar energy equipment in Zimbabwe. In 1984 I started with the study of theology at Utrecht University, which I finished with a thesis on Jonathan Edwards (1988). After passing the church exams in 1990 , I was ordained as a pastor of the Reformed Church of the Netherlands (Nederlandse Hervormde Kerk) in the congregation of Wouterswoude (1990). In 1995 we went to Opheusden, to move to Katwijk aan Zee in 1999, which congregation I served (parttime) until 2009.
I wrote several books and articles, among others ‘Revival’ (1989). This book was translated in English (1998) and in Russian (2003). In 2002 I finished my PhD-thesis The Spirit of Revival. A study in the doctrine of the Holy Spirit in the revivaltheology of Jonathan Edwards (1703-’58) at Theological University of Apeldoorn. In 2014 I finished a book on personal renewal: Be renewed. A theology of personal renewal (Göttingen: Vandenhoeck &Ruprecht, 2014).
I was a member of the synodal board of the Reformed Church of the Netherlands (Hersteld Hervormde Kerk) since May 2004, until my appointment as a lector of systematic theology at VU University Amsterdam in 2005. At this moment I am the rector of the seminary of this church (Hersteld Hervormd Seminarium) connected with VU University. I am also director of the Jonathan Edwards Centre Benelux and chairman of Bonisa-mission.
I am to Wilma Gerda Wiersma; together we have six children: Tonny, Hennie, Jan, Meindert, Marianne and Willem.
On September 11 2015 I hold my inaugural address: A Theology of Contenment: The Promise of the Concept of Participation in the Puritan Jeremiah Burroughs (1599-1646).
1. Professor of theology and spirituality of reformed protestantism at VU University,
2. Dean HHS (9 staff members), since 2007.
3. editorial board Jonathan Edwards Studies (peer-reviewed), since 2010.
4. director Jonathan Edwards Centre Benelux, since 2011
5. editorial board Theologia Reformata (peer-reviewed), since 2013
6. Research Fellow University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South-Africa, since 2013
7. Chairman of the trustees of the chair ‘geschiedenis gereformeerd piëtisme’, since 2005.
8. Member library committee theology VU, since 2005.
9. Member committee of examination theology VU, since 2008.
10. Member committee of diversity, at theology VU, since 2011.
11. Representative VU-University in refo500, since 2009.
12. Member committee for interchurch contacts HHK, since 2009.
13. Chairman Bonisa-foundation, since 2000, (MoU with Driestar).
14. Member committee Haamstede pastors-conferences, since 1999.
15. Member ‘Friends of India’ (Calvin Institute of Theology), since 2009.
16. Vice-chairman supervisory board Pieter Zandt scholengemeenschap since 2011.
17. Editorial board Labarum Academic since 2013.
Willem van Vlastuin was born on the 6th of March 1963, in Maarn, The Netherlands. In 1981
he obtained his certificate for pre-university secondary education (VWO) at the Van
Lodenstein-College in Amersfoort. He studied Technical Physics at Delft Technical
University. In 1984 he started with the study of theology at Utrecht University. He finished
this study in 1988 with a thesis on Jonathan Edwards. In February 1990 he passed his church
exams. On the 24th of May 1990 he was ordained as a pastor of the Reformed Church of the
Netherlands (Nederlandse Hervormde Kerk, NHK) in the congregation of Wouterswoude. He
accepted a call to Opheusden in 1995 and since 1999 he served the congregation of Katwijk
He wrote several books and articles, among others ‘Revival’ (1989). This book was translated
in English (1998) and in Russian (2003). In 2002 he finished at the Theological University of
Apeldoorn (TUA) his PhD-thesis The Spirit of Revival. A study in the doctrine of the Holy
Spirit in the revivaltheology of Jonathan Edwards (1703-’58). Recently he finished a book on
personal renewal: Be renewed. A theology of personal renewal (Göttingen: Vandenhoeck
He was a member of the synodal board of the Reformed Church of the Netherlands (Hersteld
Hervormde Kerk, HHK) since May 2004, until his appointment as a lector of systematic
theology at VU University Amsterdam in 2005. At this moment he is the dean of the seminary
of this church (Hersteld Hervormd Seminarium, HHS) connected with VU University. He is
also director of the Jonathan Edwards Centre Benelux and chairman of Bonisa-mission.
He is married to Wilma Gerda Wiersma; they have six children: Tonny, Hennie, Jan,
Meindert, Marianne and Willem.